Subject: hung console
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2001 15:19:43
I'm running a freshly-snarfed kernel and the 0827 snapshot.  X hung
during some intensive I/O activity, and I can't get the console back
(more precisely, the frame buffer, and maybe the keyboard).  The
machine is up, and I can log in via ssh.  I killed off X (4.1.0), twm,
any lingering xterms, etc., but all that's on the screen is a the
frozen image from the time of the hang.

Update -- I hit RETURN a bunch of times; the screen went blank, the
slogin didn't answer, and ping no longer elicits a response....  In
fact, the monitor turned off, as if it were no longer seeing a valid
sync signal.  I had to power-cycle.

Has anyone else seen this?  (The machine is an Athlon with IDE disk and
an ASUS motherboard.)

				  http://www.wilyhacker.com