Subject: Re: Setting ulimits at boot
To: Rob Hoopman <rob@tuna.nl>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2001 22:28:03
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 04:11:08PM +0200, Rob Hoopman wrote:
> A quick question:
>
> I want to increase a ulimit variable for all user processes on my machine.
> It seems to me the obvious way of doing this is adding something like this to
> /etc/sysctl.conf
> proc.1.rlimit.maxproc.soft=180

This will change it for init, and all processes forked by init *after* the
change. existing processes keep their resources.

> This works fine except for all processes started by rc on boot as rc is
> called before /etc/sysctl.conf is read to set this value.
> As xdm is called on boot by rc, logging into X leaves me with the old
> ulimit value.
>
> Am I missing something here?

hum, you need to change it for the process running /etc/rc/. The problem
is to find rc's PID (which happens to be the parent of /etc/rc.d/sysctl
I suspect).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>