Subject: Java
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2001 16:46:22
--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa

What are the options for running a recent JVM on NetBSD, where arch !=3D
i386?  Here are the options I know of, none of which are particularly
satisfying:

* In pkgsrc, there's lang/jdk, which is a native JDK 1.1.8 for i386.

* Lang/sun-jdk13 is a JDK 1.3 for i386, under linux emulation.

* Lang/blackdown-jdk13 has a linux JDK 1.3 for powerpc.

* If you have (legal) access to shared libs from your native OS, you
  can probably run a JDK 1.3 under emulation on sparc or sparc64.

* Kaffe can handle most of JDK 1.1, but only on arm32, i386, m68k,
  mips, and sparc.

* Japhar seems to be approximately JDK 1.1 level, but the pkg is
  pretty old, and it's a pain to compile by hand.

* Gcc 3 includes support for java, apparently up to about JDK 1.2
  level.  But the java support doesn't compile on NetBSD.  Is this a
  threading problem?

* A few times a year, somebody says that somebody else is working on
  porting JDK 1.2 or 1.3 to NetBSD, but that it's against somebody's
  rules to say anything about the status of this -- some kind of NDA
  from Sun?

So...  What did I get wrong, and what did I forget?

Chris

--=20
Chris Jones                                          Mad scientist at large
  www.netbsd.org www.postgresql.org www.schemers.org www.python.org

--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa

--/GPgYEyhnw15BExa--