Subject: Re: Bridge support added to NetBSD-current
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/2001 15:31:45
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >In order to not have to change the MTU of everything, you'd have to
> >fragment out 4096 byte FDDI frames into 1500 byte ethernet frames.
>
> ...which would make it not really a bridge since it's operating on
> level datagrams, and as such, ought to also be decrementing the ttl,
> etc.

IIRC, The Cisco 1200s I use at home don't decrement TTL when bridging fddi
to ethernet or vice-versa.  Now, whether or not that's correct is
debatable... what is the defacto (or RFC) for bridging which requires
some form of protocol groking, such as with MTUs, etc...?

-
Jon
 "The only thing worse than your high school class is a reunion with
  them."