Subject: Re: Bridge support added to NetBSD-current
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2001 21:54:39
    Date:        Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:44:36 +0200
    From:        "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>

  | Congratulations, Jason!

Yes, looks nice.

  | Bridging FDDI to Ethernet can be done with IP if the bridge "knows"
  | about IP and fragments the packet according to IP rules if the packet
  | is too big for Ethernet.

Yes - but then you also have to deal with DF, so PMTUD works, and that
means sending an ICMP from what looks like the middle of a single link.

It really just isn't worth the bother - just route between fddi and
ethernets.

  | Doing that with AppleTalk can be done without any fancy machinery,

I didn't see anything so far that allows bridging of only some (or all
but some) protocols (ether types), that might be something nice for some
time in the future.

kre