Subject: Fwd: Re: Debugging soundblaster compatability
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Murray Armfield <murray@river-styx.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/2001 20:55:52
Subject: Re: Debugging soundblaster compatability
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:23:22 +1000
From: Murray Armfield <murray@river-styx.org>
To: seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:37, you wrote:
> My laptop has an ESS "Allegro-1" chipset, which is driven (under FreeBSD)
> by the Maestro3 driver.  I noticed that the card supposedly has "DOS
> legacy compatability", so I have been trying to get that to work, since
> it's easier than porting a driver (and the driver has a big chunk of GPL'd
> code to download to a DSP...).

I have an ESS maestro 3 pci soundcard in my notebook. IIRC there are drivers
around for the maestro 1, maestro 2 and 2e drivers in -current and 1.5.1. The
specs for the maestro 3 chipset aint out last time I checked.

Just to be sure, can you send dmesg output? (Not in dos mode)
I'll show you mine...

ESS Technology Inc Maestro 3 PCI Audio Accelerator (audio multimedia) at pci0
dev 13 function 0 not configured

However, opensound has for a small price a driver for the maestro 3 for
netbsd 1.5
I have been using this on netbsd 1.5.1 and it seems to work OK.

However (again), doesn't integrate cleanly with pkgsrc stuff. Need to tinker
with builds and pretend your on freebsd and then do a couple of hacks now and
again. If you want any help, just email :-)

Take care,
	Murray Armfield