Subject: Re: Debugging soundblaster compatability
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/2001 01:29:37
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> I'm going to try other drivers (in particular, "ess0", which looks like it
> may be a better match).  Any other suggestions for ways in which I can debug
> the gizmo?

It's probably not worth the trouble to get the ess driver to match
it. The SB is the lowest-common-denominator among DOS-era PC
sound devices, and our driver does check some magic values to see if
it's claiming to be one, so if it says it sees a SB, there is
something SB-like there.

> BTW, the "put it in compatability mode" code I'm using is based on
> ESS docs, and should be correctly setting the irq and port
> addresses.  Is there any way, other than trying "audioplay" all the
> time, to confirm or deny the IRQ setting for a device?

For an ISA device? In general, no.

        - Nathan