Subject: Re: netstat don't show unused interfaces
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Daniel Parks <daniel@mwdesign.dyndns.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2001 12:01:22
At 5:49 AM -0700 8/4/2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>Maybe, /etc/daily should have:
>
>  netstat -inv  | egrep -v '*0 *0 *0 *0 *0'

Um... I guess I'm just paranoid but this should be

netstat -inv  |  egrep -v '0 *0 *0 *0 *0$'

(What does it mean when a regexp starts with a *?)

>But maybe not, because then you may not get a report on an interface you
>wanted.

But if an interface you wanted to know about didn't show up, you know
that it's not being used. Anyway, if you want to be sure you can
always run netsat -inv yourself!

>What is the normal may with dealing with this? (Don't have the interfaces
>configured in the first place?)

That would be a good solution, but I suppose in some circumstances
(say flaky DSL line, have to use PPP every once in a while) one might
want an extra interface.

I can't imagine how removing unused interfaces from the output (in
daily) would be a problem...

Daniel

--
My PGP public key: http://mwdesign.dyndns.org/~daniel/publickey.txt