Subject: Re: Need help building snapshot
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2001 15:59:08
In article <v03130306b79140c92756@[63.13.227.47]>
mw@blobulent.com wrote:

> I'm trying to build a snapshot of -current for macppc.  I've never built
> the whole release before (only kernels), and I'm running into a problem.

Do you check the Developer Documentation pages?
http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/build-release.html

> I've set up the environment variables for BSDSRCDIR, BSDOBJDIR, DESTDIR,
> and RELEASEDIR.  I've run 'make obj', which completes without errors (but
> all it seems to do is create directories in $BSDOBJDIR).  When I run 'make
> release', it gripes at me, because it can't write to the nonexistant
> directory structure in $RELEASEDIR.
>
> What do I have to do to get it to make the directories (e.g.
> $RELEASEDIR/usr/share)?  I *really* don't want to have to make them all by
> hand.

Do you mean $DESTDIR? $RELEASEDIR is a directory where binary sets
(like *.tgz) are stored and it is refered only under src/{etc,distrib}.
Directories like $DESTDIR/usr/share etc. should be created
during make build.

If you built and installed all binaries without $DESTDIR and then
you tried "make release BUILD_DONE=1", it would fail. BUILD_DONE
can be used only if all binaries are already installed into $DESTDIR.

If you have all binaries in $BSDOBJDIR and you want to save some hours
to rebuild them, maybe "make beforeinstall", "make includes" and
"make install" with $DESTDIR will install all files into $DESTDIR,
but I'm not sure...
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp