Subject: Re: Problems with Handspring Visor Platinum
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/2001 20:09:23
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> > Unfortunately however, I cannot start the synching software before I
> > press the button, because it only tells me ttyU0 ("ucom0") is not
> > configured which is true, since USB devices are configured at run-time
> > and the Handspring HotSync-Cradle only attaches when the button is
> > pressed.
>
> I know this is slightly off-topic, but I think it would be nice to have a
> generic interface (shared between at least the usb, pcmcia, and cardbus
> subsystems) to be able to run scripts upon device insertion and removal.
> Not only could you run the palm software automatically on attachment of
> 'ucom0', but also one could configure / unconfigure ethernet adapters as
> well as set the volume on sound cards.
>
> IIRC, the usb subsystem has hooks for this (usbd?), but I'm not sure if
> anything uses them or not.

	A modified evrsion of the FreeBSD 'kevent' code is in the process
	of being imported into NetBSD, which should cover this and many
	other issues.

	In the meantime the software at the NetBSD end could be modified
	to have an option to sit in a loop for N seconds retrying every
	20th of a second or similar...

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --