Subject: Re: Tracking 1.5.1?
To: None <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/2001 15:02:00
> Well, I've been asking to use a -relesae for an important production
> server, so I insstalled 1.5.1.
>
> The problem is: how to track small pactches, security enhancements, e=
tc.

> - tracking mirror/1.5.1, but it is an export-only version, wil I miss=

>   some ssl/ssh/kerberos things?

Right before the release of 1.4.3 and 1.5, the US export regulations
changed, and since 1.5, the crypto code is fully integrated in the
release.  See

  http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/crypto-export.html

for any remaining export restrictions (note, there may be additional
"import" or "use" restrictions imposed locally).

Secondly, I sense some confusion creeping in here: the 1.5.1 release
is what it is, and as such it will not change.  Thus, there is nothing
to "track" in 1.5.1.  However, you probably mean "how do I track the
development on the branch which was used to produce 1.5.1, and which
will eventually become 1.5.2".

Secondly, I think I would recommend the use of CVS instead of sup to
get the source code.  With CVS it is ~trivial to track the netbsd-1-5
branch, which is the branch in our CVS repository used to produce the
point releases based on 1.5, such as 1.5.1 and (eventually) 1.5.2.

Using the CHANGES-1.5.2 file (which is tracking all files/changes done
since we cut the 1.5.1 release) to pick out which files which need
updating should be pretty straight-forward, avoiding the need to CVS
update the whole tree.

That said...

> - tracking mirror/1.5.1, but it is an export-only version, wil I miss=

>   some ssl/ssh/kerberos things?

That one is most probably going to give you the 1.5.1 release bits.

> - tracking release-1-5/allsrc, is it 1.5.1 source, or just "formal,
>   non patched" 1.5 release?

That one is most probably going to give you the netbsd-1-5 branch
sources.

> It is not very clear in README.sup, neither in "Tracking releases" pa=
ges

Please see

  http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html

as it may help clear up some of this.