Subject: 1.5.1 grumble tagged SCSI commands grumble broke drive grumble
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2001 19:52:07
I want a SAFEGENERIC kernel.

I'm working on upgrading the few boxen around here that actually
work. My (Alpha) AXPpci33 is particularly picky and will fail to
boot if it isn't stroked and loved in just the way it likes to be
loved.

New, it seems, in 1.5.1 is support for tagged command queuing in
the siop driver. Guess what: My drives don't like tagged command
queuing it seems. My two 9gig Micropolis 3391WS drives (on siop1)
hang sometime during boot until they get reset and tagged mode is
disabled.

Worse, my boot disk (Micropolis 1588 1.6 gig) on siop0 chokes,
stumbles around hands around it's neck, and finally dies an audible
death. You know the sound: the sound of a 5.25" full height drive
spinning down and back up. In the process init dies and down she
goes.

Luckily I have another working Alpha in the house with which to
compile kernels, and luckily I can add both kinds of drive to the
quirk table. What I really want is a kernel I can use for installs
that has fancy features *disabled*.

Would it be unreasonable to have a generic-like kernel with no
tagged command queuing, no sync SCSI, and no other features that
are good performance wins but lose with marginal hardware? This
problem with my drives would have prevented me from installing if
I didn't have other machines to lean on. I'm still smarting from
the heck I had to deal with on my Amiga due to it's crappy SCSI,
and that was years ago (but I only had one Amiga that could run
NetBSD, so life sucked).

C'mon, how about it?

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.