Subject: Re: ffs crash after raid reconfiguration
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2001 04:33:53
   On Jul 21,  2:47, Greg Oster wrote:
   > Subject: Re: ffs crash after raid reconfiguration
   >
   > Ummm...  The autoconfig is not supposed to care what components are on
   > what drives, and what ID's those drives might be at.  Can you send me the
   > 'dmesg' from this boot?

It was working like you explained long time ago.  However,
it is not working in such a way now.  So, I was just
thinking something was changed in the codes...  However, you
said it should work correctly.  Maybe, I misconfigured it?

In dmesg:
  biomask ef47 netmask ff67 ttymask ffe7
  Kernelized RAIDframe activated
  boot device: wd0
  root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
  root file system type: ffs
  RAIDFRAME: protectedSectors is 64
  raidlookup on device: /dev/wd4e failed!

RAIDframe seems to try to configure raid system
automatically, so I thought the 'auto-configuration flag' was
on.  However, I'm not sure about it.  Probably, I should
"raidctl -A yes" once later...  Ouch, I looked at the status
of my raid.  It said clearly "Autoconfig: No".  Sorry.
This is the reason why renamed drives are not recognized
correctly.

   > > the system with "raidctl -c raid0.conf raid0".  I mounted
   > > raid0 without fsck because it was clean.
   >
   > You did a normal shutdown to remove the failed drive, right?

Yes.

   > > following message and trace.
   > >
   > > start = 2187, len = 117, fs = /home
   >
   > /home is on raid0 I take it?

Yes.

   > > I guess there may be a problem around the raid
   > > reconfiguration.  Today and last time, I experienced panics
   > > when I start the system without reboot after the
   > > reconfiguration.
   >
   > Sorry... I'm not sure what you mean here.  Please explain with a bit more
   > detail.  If the 'raidctl -I 1234' has been done, and autoconfiguration is
   > turned on, then it shouldn't matter where the components are and what
   > ID's the drives are at -- the autoconfig code is supposed to find them,
   > sort out which ones belong to what sets, and glue the appropriate ones
   > together.  Can you also send me the output of 'raidctl -s raid0'?
   > (for whatever state raid0 is in now.)

I'm not talking about why it is not auto-configured.  Sorry.
I'm talking about the crash after hand re-configuration.
The reason of no auto-configuration become clear like above.
Thank you about that.  The flag was turned off once
probably after first crash, then I haven't turned it on.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was this.  Both time, RAIDframe
failed to configure.  I changed the configuration file and
manually reconfigured them.  I mean that I changed
/etc/raid0.conf and executed "raidctl -c /etc/raid0.conf
raid0".  For example, I can reboot the machine at this time.
However, both time I didn't reboot the machine.  I just
configured, fscked (if it's necessary), mounted, and
continued the system.  Then, system was crashed.  So, I was
wondering it might work without crash if I rebooted the
system.

On the other hand, there is a possibility of real file
system corruption although there is no errors on other
drives this time and it was crashed just after fsck last
time.

Regards,
-- Kazushi
" ... I told my doctor I got all the exercise I needed being a
pallbearer for all my friends who run and do exercises!"
		-- Winston Churchill