Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2001 11:30:29
it's getting out of topic, I'm glad that there is movement towards
improving XFree, I also think it's stupid to scan pci from the user
space, and Xserver just should know where its device is. I'm
looking into Xfree from sun/sbus/ffb perspective, yes there already
exists sbus framebuffer support there.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:58:35AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Andrey Petrov wrote:
>
> : I think I meant to say there are no certain memory protection that
> : reasonable Unices put even on root. At least today.
>
> Really?  I hadn't heard that.  When did we regress to non-protected-memory
> systems?
>
> : My opinion is that accessing memory is sometimes desired and needed
>
> But in the X case, it simply isn't needed, it's just used by XFree (at this
> time) as a laziness convenience.

X doesn't need access to framebuffer memory, is that what you're saying?

	Andrey