Subject: Re: LFS v2 problems with full partition
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2001 17:00:15
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Ok, now when I fill up the disk on my i386 I see:
>
> panic: lfs_nextseg: no clean segments
> Stopped in pid 19 (lfs_cleanerd)

While not good, but that's what I expect to happen when the partition
fills; the cleaner is just too inefficient in its use of space when almost
every segment is packed full of data it needs to keep.

Does the process you have filling the disk exit with "disk full", or is it
still writing when the machine panics?

If you want to spend some time on it, you can try playing around with the
"-M" option to newfs_lfs to give yourself more spare segments, but the
problem that the cleaner can use more space than it frees is a pretty bad
one.

What should probably happen instead is that the cleaner should recognize
this condition and *not* clean, leaving the kernel with some segments left
so a user can remove some files until the cleaner can effectively work
again; and the kernel has to know how to write blocks required for file
removal but not any others.  This will require a lot of thought to
implement.
						Konrad Schroder
						perseant@hhhh.org