Subject: Re: bad144, take two
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2001 08:39:44
In message <200107171719.f6HHJoM24868@ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
	on Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:19:46 -0400,
	Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> can even use partitions outside of "c" with NetBSD just fine.  Tieing
> the bad144 area to the magical "c" partition not only makes partitioning
> the disk harder, but also prevents easy repartitioning of the disk
> while keeping bad144 information intact.  If we ever migrate away from
> c/d on i386, that's just something else that's going to lose.
Then, compatibility problem still remains, I think.  So you had better
completely new scheme (naming, number of bad sector talbe, ...) rather
than modifying or extending bad144.

> I know that there's concern that other operating systems don't know about
> bad144; that has a simple solution: Simply leave off the last track (or
> two) when you're doing fdisk/disklabel partitioning.  That will make
Though it seems that most of fdisk programs are preserve last
cylinder, is it possible to keep above rule?  There is a chance that
install other operating system after install NetBSD.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>