Subject: Re: bad144, take two
To: None <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2001 00:20:10
In message <200107161923.f6GJNxM03208@ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
	on Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:23:57 -0400,
	Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> - Fix bad144(8) on the i386 so it agrees with the disklabel method of
>   calculating the location of the error table.  I think at the end of
>   the disk (rather than the end of the c partition) is a more
>   reasonable place for it.
On i386 (really PC/AT clone), NetBSD might be installed in FDISK
partition ("slice" called by FreeBSD people).

	partition "d":	whole disk drive
	partition "c":	NetBSD using area

In this case, NetBSD shouldn't modify or rely on other than the
partition "c" (exception is fdisk(8) and MBR).  Since bad144 remapping
is valid only for NetBSD, it should be complete in NetBSD using area.

> - Add support for bad144 remapping to SCSI devices.  Now, I can understand
>   people that say that since SCSI drives do this in hardware, it shouldn't
>   be necessary ... but this has pulled my chesnuts out of the fire on
Yes, scsictl(8) is your friend.  :-)

> - Work with the sysinst gang to have sysinst have the option to automatically
>   reserve space for a bad144 track and optionally run bad144 at install time.
I agree.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>