Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2001 20:19:43
[ On Saturday, July 14, 2001 at 15:08:02 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
>
> XFree has now joined the X Consortium, and the announcement of R6.6
> followed the announcement of that fact fairly closely, so I think it
> is reasonable to expect that XFree will be pulled up into XC, if it
> isn't already.

If that's the case then why would NetBSD go with XFree instead of going
back to strictly using future XC X11Rx.x releases?

My understanding of why XFree joined the X Consortium was that it was
done just to heal any wounds opened by the copyright license fiasco and
to make XFree's use of ongoing X Consortium work more legitimate.  I may
be completely off base there -- I'm only a backbench observer of this....

According to the release notes X11R6.6 includes "additional fixes from
the Xfree86 community", as well as some other features including the
XFree86-VidModeExtension and support for some video cards:

    This release includes the necessary device-dependent support to build a
    native X server for the following platforms:

        HP-UX: Xhp
        Compaq Tru64 UNIX: Xdec on DECstation 3000/400 (Alpha) with PMAG-B
        SunOS/Solaris: Xsun -- see the Xsun man page for supported cards
        XFree86: See the XF_* man pages for supported cards

However on closer investigation I see a structure under X11R6.6's
Xserver directory that includes:

	hw/xfree68
	hw/xfree86
	hw/xfree98

It is sad to see how little new hardware support has been contributed to
X11R6.6 though.....  There's nothing newer than cgeight and TCX from Sun
for example, and of course Xdec, well, it's in the dark ages.  Sigh.

--
							Greg A. Woods