Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2001 15:25:00
[ On Saturday, July 14, 2001 at 13:54:47 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Why not track our xsrc with X11R6.6 from X.org?
>
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
>
> > Our xsrc version still stay on X11R6.3 but these is a new X11R6.6 on
> > ftp.x.org. So why not update our xsrc to X11R6.6 if we still want to
> > keep 'xsrc' different from 'xfree'?
>
> Has anyone tried X11R6.6?

I have it unpacked ready to import to CVS and then I'll build it on
sparc (and maybe pmax).  I won't really be able to try it though until I
get my workstation upgraded to match the build machine though....

Hmmm... unless I netboot from the build machine....  that might be
easier and sooner!  ;-)

> Does it include XFree 4?

I think it kinda goes the other way around.  X11R6.6 is from x.org's
ongoing X Window project, and XFree picks up the x.org stuff and makes
it more pc-like...   [0.5 :-)]

It seems XFree-4.1.0 is based on X11R6.5.1, but I'm not sure just how
much they integrated and what's unique to XFree -- their release notes
aren't exactly clear on these issues.

(all I see is that they re-wrote Xinerama)

--
							Greg A. Woods