Subject: Re: LFSv2 on the trunk
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/2001 17:26:14
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:06:43PM -0700, Michael K. Sanders wrote:

 > While I agree that would be good, how would that be distinguishing
 > from FFS+softdep+snapshots?

FFS+softdep is fine, but softdeps, I think, people understand the
implementation has some ... issues.  And the way snapshots are done
in FFS, in the FreeBSD implementation, is really kind of a hack.

LFS is much better *designed* for these types of things, because of its
fundamental design.  Want a snapshot of the file system for the backup
process?  Fine!  Freeze the garbage-collector, run the backup up to the
point in the file system where you froze it, then thaw the garbage-collector.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>