Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Aaron J. Grier <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2001 22:25:41
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:35:32AM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> a couple options, in increasing order of desirability:
>
> * fix the driver -- it's likely your codec does indeed support
>   variable rate playback, but NetBSD's driver doesn't know how to
>   configure it or use it.

that is auvia... the old ac97 stuff really doesn't do this. The code checks
the "VRA available" bit of the hardware correctly; I looked at the auvia
code as well as the ac97 docs myself, as I'm writing a driver for a different
ac97 board.

audioplay should refuse to play at the wrong rate.

(actually, in the special case of 48000 Hz only AC97 chips, we can get
very low quality 8kHz output cheaply. I'm not sure this is desired.)

Regards,
	-is