Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2001 20:32:43
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Nigel Reed wrote:

> I have an 8bit mono .wav file at 8Khz. I don't think quality is an
> issue here, it's just that I don't want it playing back at the speed
> of light rather than the speed of sound. I'm surprised someone hasn't
> come up against this problem before.

Well, your soundchip does not support that low rates. audioplay(1) told
it to switch to lower rates, but it refuses. Unfortunately, audioplay(1)
continued to feed it's audiodata to the device, which now plays the
file at a higher speed.
What another friendly guy already said, a solution would be to convert
the file on the fly to a supported sample rate, but that is quite
expensive and nothing you really want to do in the kernel.

Did you think about using sox to convert the sample rate to a supported
one?

> Now, someone mentioned I should send in a pr...to fix what? To tell me
> that I can't do it...or to fix the codec?

That audioplay(1) doesn't report errors when it fails to set the
required sample rates but just continues to play at a wrong rate.

--
Tom