Subject: Re: NetBSD plays .wav ultra fast
To: None <augustss@augustsson.net, nigel@nelgin.nu>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2001 14:30:36
> I have an 8bit mono .wav file at 8Khz. I don't think quality is an
> issue here, it's just that I don't want it playing back at the speed
> of light rather than the speed of sound. I'm surprised someone hasn't
> come up against this problem before.
It's a fairly rare problem because most AC'97 codecs support variable
rate.  Only some new cheap motherboards have this problem (I have one myself).

> Now, someone mentioned I should send in a pr...to fix what? To tell me
> that I can't do it...or to fix the codec?
Sending a PR won't accomplish much.  It's a known (if undocumented)
problem.  You can't really fix the codec since it's probably mounted
on your motherboard.  The right solution (well, the really right solution
would have been to not allow such crap hardware in the first place) is
to do sample rate conversion in the kernel.  This is a substantial
piece of work.

	-- Lennart