Subject: Re: build of -current from today fails on libexec/kpasswdd
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2001 14:08:18
[ On Wednesday, July 4, 2001 at 09:30:23 (+0100), Chris Gilbert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: build of -current from today fails on libexec/kpasswdd
>
> kdump and makewhatis appear to need DESTDIR in the env,

No, they don't.  Where did you get the idea that they do?  They don't
even have DESTDIR anywhere near them, let alone inside them!

(and where is kdump used during the build?  perhaps you did an fgrep for
DESTDIR in the source and didn't read the context to see what the actual
use was for?  it's only in a makefile fragment called "Makefile.ioctl-c")

> some arch's
> floppy/ram disk image creation scripts need it as well.

If they do then they are broken and need fixing.  The fix is extremely
trivial and obvious.  There shouldn't be any such problems on i386 or
sparc, IIRC, though I have re-written many of those makefiles myself and
all I really know is that my new versions have no such problems.

> Things in ./gnu/dist/toolchain/gcc/fixinc seem to have a DESTDIR (but I don't
> think it's the same as the BSD one, and we don't currently use that version
> of toolchain)

No problems there.  I've got several systems with working gcc's that
were installed from releases built without DESTDIR in the environment.

> I got bitten by this when building 1.5.x while running -current, and also
> when building -current when running 1.5.x as kdump gets confused :)

I've just recently build release snapshots from "-current" (from
2001/06/24) and I've encountered no such problems.  I *never* specify
build-related variables in the environment.

--
							Greg A. Woods