Subject: Re: Timestamping for dmesg output?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Oleg Polianski <Oleg.Polianski@clear.co.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2001 14:30:37
Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com> writes:

> So now I'm thoroughly confused.  /var/log/messages has time stamps.
> /var/run/dmesg.boot does not.

 The `dmesg' output gets timestamped when it goes through syslog daemon which
 does this work.  Every  message  in  `/var/log/messages' is  timestamped  by
 `syslogd' and not by kernel. `/var/run/dmesg.boot' is just the plain copy of
 kernel message  buffer saved during  the system  startup  process, it  isn't
 processed   by  `syslogd' so   this is  why messages  in  that  file are not
 timestamped.

> Is /var/run/dmesg.boot a proper subset of /var/log/messages?

 No.

> Should /var/run/dmesg.boot also carry timestamps?

 No. See above why.

Oleg