Subject: Re: Timestamping for dmesg output?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/2001 15:55:14
Sorry, I was clearly sleep-deprived.

It's dmesg that leaves that stuff off.

Note that the dmesg man page is therefore inaccurate:

MESG(8)                NetBSD System Manager's Manual                DMESG(8)

NAME
     dmesg - display the system message buffer

SYNOPSIS
     dmesg [-M core] [-N system]

DESCRIPTION
     dmesg displays the contents of the system message buffer.

     The options are as follows:

     -M      Extract values associated with the name list from the specified
             core instead of the default ``/dev/mem''.

     -N      Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the
             default ``/netbsd''.

FILES
     /var/run/dmesg.boot  copy of dmesg at the time of last boot.

SEE ALSO
     syslogd(8)

HISTORY
     The dmesg command appeared in 4.0BSD.

4th Berkeley Distribution        June 5, 199

As, in fact, it actually displays the system message buffer sans timestamps.

Thanks again -Mike