Subject: Re: Ensoniq Audio PCI
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/2001 15:17:30
On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 03:51:48PM -0300, Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires wrote:
> Hello, All.
>
> For a few months now, I have been experiencing the following problem
> with my Ensoniq Audio PCI card: when playing sounds, it works fine
> for the first few times, but at some point the card seems to "hang",
> blocking on further write()s.  When this happens, I have to kill the
> program that is sending data, but it takes about half a minute for the
> program to die.  If I keep trying, by starting and killing the appli-
> cation until it succeeds, it will eventually open the device and play
> the sound successfully, but the problem eventually happens again.

I have the same problem when listening live audio from realplayer.
I don't know if this is realplayer or the driver's fault.
This seems to happen under heavy disk I/O only. Maybe it's related to
interrupt latency, maybe it's realplayer that can't write fast enouth
to the device and loose sync.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>