Subject: has anybody else had problems with xterm "freezing"?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/2001 14:37:19
I've been having problems with 'xterm' freezing for the last few
months.  It only happens with xterms that have a lot of output streaming
to them, eg. from "make build", "cvs import", etc.  It seems to happen
even when the xterm is iconized (eg. hidden in another workspace).  It
also seems to happen occasionally even when the window has the mouse and
keyboard focus.

Simply moving the mouse cursor in and out of the window once or twice
will wake it up immediately.  Of course this frozen output state causes
writes to the pty to block, thus effectively stopping anything running
on the terminal and wanting to send output.

It's only mildly annoying, but I'd like to fix it none the less.

I normally start all my xterms with something like this:

	xterm -ziconbeep 1 -bc -cn -rw -sb -si -sk -sl 2048 -ls -T $HOSTNAME

and I have the following X resources set:

	*cursorBlink:   true
	*deleteIsDEL:   true

If I remember correctly this started happening about the time Xterm
finally learned to blink its cursor.....

It certainly does not happen on older xterms that cannot blink their
cursors.....

(BTW, I won't consider disabling the cursorBlink feature.  IMNSHO that's
a necessary feature of any text terminal! :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods