Subject: Re: pkg/13250: INN pkg unuseable as installed
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2001 01:54:34
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:01:18AM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
> When I've had problems I haven't run makedbz and haven't needed to -
> the hash files have rebuilt themselves automatically with makehistory,
> but maybe that's my config somehow using tradspool.

Well, there was no *re*building involved in my case, as history was
completely blank. As I pointed out separately, I was just being
boneheaded about permissions.

> After the last upgrade I've had to do something like the following:
>
> % makehistory -O
> % find /news -print0 | xargs -0 chown news.news
>   # or equivalent with appropriate news spool/overview path/s

That reads like sound advice based on what the INN install notes
have to say. (I finally went and actually looked at the ISC's
documentation, something I should have done long ago... it'd be
nice if our package drew attention to these notes, which talk about
plenty more than the actual act of installation, especially as
regards storage methods and such.)

>   storage.conf    # must change or nearly everything will barf

I actually haven't done anything in storage.conf yet, but I also
haven't tried to actually use my news server yet, so...

Anyway, I'm about to tinker with storage.conf.

> What sort of news system are you looking to set up?

Just a "private" (as in, not USENET-attached, not as in NNTP-over-SSL
or -with-passwords) set of a couple of newsgroups.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net