Subject: Re: Multiprocessor with NetBSD ?
To: mike stone <bsdusr@yawp.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2001 15:56:24
mike stone <bsdusr@yawp.com> writes:

> my question is "how well does SMP support the work we're most likely
> to do?" with the corrolary, "would AP provide equal, better, or worse
> support for that same work?"

We're mostly software people around here*. Some parts of a system, like
the granularity of kernel locking, or master-slave vs. SMP kernel
organization, are under our control. But whether the hardware is NUMA,
or symmetric, or non-shared memory at all, really isn't something we
control.

        - Nathan

* At least, the last time I checked, nobody was building "The NetBSD
  hardware". Not that we don't have ideas....