Subject: Re: SDL troubles.
To: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2001 19:05:37
On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 04:02:26PM -0700, collver@linuxfreemail.com wrote:
> I believe the error is in the software you are trying to compile.
> I could not find reference to FileSpecifier or any of the missing
> methods anywhere in the SDL source, so I am guessing you'd have the
> same difficulty building this software on other platforms.

Yeah, see my second email to current-users. I saw how dumb I'd been.
;^>

> Those functions all look self-descriptive and relatively simple.
> Some look like Win32/MSVC functions (I recognize SplitPath,
> CreateDirectory and ReadDirectory).
>
> So I am guessing that whoever wrote the software you're trying to build
> wrote it for Windows.  You can find references of the Win32 API (readable
> in Netscape) on msdn.microsoft.com.  You might also refer to the source
> for WINE and TWIN.  I made a clone of the DOS-style splitpath() for
> the textproc/helpdeco package.

Hrm. Don't think it's needed, since they seem to have code that
works on Linux and BEOS. (That is, they already did that work, just
that NetBSD is getting categorized as "other" when is should fall
under Unix.)

Does Linux define __unix__ somewhere? Why are they keying off that?
(And where the hell does one look in /usr/include to find what *is*
definied? I've been wondering this for years...)

Right now, I'm just adding || defined(__NetBSD__) to the tail end of
all of these, but I'm positive this is inappropriate (there is a
general symbol to check for, and our specific OS's name ain't it),
so it'd be nice to know what the right thing is. (I'd like to make a
package out of this software... it's the mult-OS port of Bungie's
game Marathon, called AlephOne. The source I'm playing with is
available from http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/A1Main.html, listed
as the "Linux" port at http://source.bungie.org/, though SDL is
pretty clearly platform-independant, and the first web page
definitely suggests is *should* run in "*BSDs".

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net