Subject: Your message on netbsd current users
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Marc Espie <espie@schutzenberger.liafa.jussieu.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/2001 15:36:31
>No, it doesn't.  I have cleared this up with core@netbsd.org and whilst
>they appear to be happy that any problems have been resolved, another
>effort is required so that core@netbsd.org can convey this to NetBSD
>users in a meaningful way.

>any issues they had.  As you may have noticed, I have deliverately not
>made any effort to work with OpenBSD because it does not appear possible
>to work with the OpenBSD project.

This is pure slander. You didn't even try to work with us.

I sent you a plain old email stating facts about what was going to happen,
and why a non-free licence was unacceptable for OpenBSD, and you started
ranting about it being impossible to work with Theo and other OpenBSD
`raving lunatics'.

We have very similar project goals to NetBSD. It appears we take them
more seriously.

I, for one, would very much know how you solved this internally to NetBSD,
why it went through `core@' and not elsewhere,

I also really would like to know why you consider the BSD licence to be
such an eeeeviiil thing wrt IPF.

I think there are numerous cases of other software (Luke Newburn's ftp,
to take one prominent NetBSD program, for instance) released under the BSD
licence without any problem of people getting credits where credits are
due.

Is this an ego issue ?

>Well, there's no telling what Theo is ever going to do.

Funny, I had no problems at all seeing this one coming.

>I'd kindly appreciate it if people like yourself stopped speaking out of
>turn, stirring up trouble, when there is no need, especially as matters
>are already being resolved.

I would tend to infer that some NetBSD users tend to see these goals as
something important... it might be they're at odd with core@ in that
specific case, or maybe there's something we don't grasp yet ?

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't barge in   on a NetBSD mailing-list like
this if what you're currently saying weren't such a blatant
misrepresentation of what has actually been happening with us.

It looks like lately, it's become a shooting game where Theo's *past*
reputation enters the game every which week. Get with the program. This
is old history. Just because you get peeved because Theo doesn't see
things your way  doesn't mean you couldn't reach a solution.

Of course, if you don't want to write free software, then there's no
possible settlement.