Subject: Re: kerberos V
To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@autonomica.se>
From: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2001 23:57:42
On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 07:55:48AM +0200, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:
> aidan@kublai.com:
> > I (personally) don't plan to go mucking about adding krb5 support
> > to rsh/rshd, or rlogin/rlogind...  I consider rlogin obsolete, and
> > rsh just looked like a real pain, to me.
>
> Just out of curiosity (this is not criticism!), why don't you just
> take the Heimdal stuff and replace the current ones with that?
> Copyright issues? Code quality?
>
> Or NIH? ;-)

I'd like to give you the reasons I said this, but it was a long time
ago I made the decision, and many of my old reasons don't apply
anymore.  Thinking about this now, the reasons I don't want to are:
 * Relies on Heimdal libraries for things like argument parsing and
   network I/O.  This is fine for Heimdal, but I think it's important
   to be able to build without crypto, which means I wouldn't be able
   to rely upon the existence of those functions.  Or they'd need to
   be put into the non-crypto part of the tree...  That'd be
   inappropriate since they're part of the Heimdal dist, and also just
   too much work for basically one utility.
 * I really don't have the time or the energy.

You might be able to convince me the first argument isn't good enough,
but I'm sure I won't budge on the second. :-)

--aidan
--
Aidan Cully        "If I press this button, the whole island will explode!"
aidan@kublai.com   "Don't touch it!"   -- Godzilla vs. Sea Monster