Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/2001 00:23:47
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:02:23AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > There's nothing stopping you from hitting ^C to interrupt the wait
> > whilst rc.shutdown is running that script.
>
> Oh, great, so I have to hit ^C on the console to get the system 3,000
> miles away at which I typed "shutdown -r now" over the network to shut
> down.

If you actually tried this, you'll note that shutdown(8) runs
/etc/rc.shutdown on the terminal you've connected from (not
/dev/console), and has done since /etc/rc.shutdown was implemented
(even before rc.d was incorporated).

To repeat, shutdown(8) runs /etc/rc.shutdown, not init(8).

If you don't want to run /etc/rc.shutdown (and therefore run the rc.d
scripts with tagged with "KEYWORDS: shutdown"), use `reboot' instead of
`shutdown -r now'.

On a side note: I leave you to ponder the sanity of remoting managing
(important) boxes that you don't have the remote console of... However,
I know it's unavoidable at times.