Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2001 19:44:37
[ On Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 18:58:17 (-0400), maximum entropy wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
>
> I suspect that a lot of people are assuming that all scripts in
> /etc/rc.d are called to stop daemons gracefully at shutdown time.

It certainly seems that way.  I didn't think it was that long ago that
this particular issue was sorted out though (and I thought it was on
current-users too, though I can't be bothered to go check!  :-)

> Most of those people will probably be satisfied if they would read
> /etc/rc.shutdown and see that it's just not done that way.  Only those
> scripts having "# KEYWORD: shutdown" are run at shutdown time.

Actually they could learn the same from rc.shutdown(8) in -current too!  :-)

     2.   Invoke rcorder(8) to order the files in /etc/rc.d/ that have a
          ``shutdown'' keyword (refer to rcorder(8)'s -k flag), reverses that
          order, and assigns the result to a variable.

> And if even that much makes you nervous...
>     echo 'do_rcshutdown=NO' >> /etc/rc.conf

Oh, yes, and that too!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods