Subject: Requests to lpd from non-reserved ports rejected (& other q's)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2001 12:25:28
I'm trying to set up one of my NetBSD boxes as a print server, as my
print server gadget seems to have given up the ghost and using existing
hardware seems to be better than buying another one.

My chief complaint so far is that `lpd' categorically rejects requests
originating from non-reserved ports as "Malformed".   Other than the
dubious amount of security this gives you, is there some other reason
for rejecting these requests?

If not, I'll go and whip up a patch to do allow this restriction to be
turned on/off from the command line.

While we're on the subject, what's lpd karma say is the better setup of
the choices below?  All this is just for home, so locking is not so much
an issue as there's only a print job every few days, but I'd like to set
it up "right":

	(1) Three different queues all pointing to the same device but
	    with different filters (one for PS, one RAW for windows
	    clients, one for plain-text), or
	(2) Three `stacked' queues, with the outputs of one feeding the
	    inputs of another:

			text queue -> postscipt queue -> raw queue

		Where:
			Text queue takes in plain text and produces PS.
			PS queue takes in PS and produces printer-specific
				foo.
			Raw queue just feeds it's input directly to the
				printer.

Thanks!
--rafal

----