Subject: Re: A release-users list
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@cyberspace.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2001 16:13:31
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:03:44AM -0400, Jason R. Fink wrote:
> > > What do people think about having a release-users list? It's purpose would
> > > be similar to current-users except that it would apply to the release
> > > branches.
> >
> > How would this be substantially different from the general purpose
> > netbsd-users list that we already have?
>
> I agree with Nathan here, the users and questions lists cover the
> release branch adequately. Adding another list which may hardly
> generate any traffic does not seem efficient.
>
> for those who want to know when security patches are applied to the
> release branch, the security list covers all branches.

For people who want to discuss problems related to the release branch,
the general purpose netbsd-users list is far too much of a scatter-gun
approach.

current-users is inappropriate, for obvious reasons. Discussing it on
one of the architecure-specific lists would mean that many potential
helpers or counsellors would miss the posting. Cross-posting is out.

Yes, I imagine the list could be low-volume - but no less useful for
all that.

Regards,
Alistair