Subject: Re: Getting current install floppies
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/14/2001 14:40:53
[ On Monday, May 14, 2001 at 09:45:58 (-0700), Paul Hoffman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Getting current install floppies
>
> At 12:02 PM -0400 5/14/01, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> >-current is going to be 1.6 -- 1.5.1 is the latest off the 1.5
> >branch. I don't know if the 7899 driver is now on the 1.5 branch or
> >not, but....
>
> Dang, this progression is hard to follow. But it fails on every
> floppy set I have tried (1.5, 1.5T, and 1.5.1BETA) in exactly the
> same way: "unable to map registers".

You've apparently got a -current in your list of tests:  1.5T.

I'm running 1.5T on an Intel-STL2 motherboard with onboard Adaptec 7899
dual-channel controller (and with LVD disks on the Ultra-160 channel).
It works OK (though as was noted in another thread, the disks only probe
at 80MHz, not 160MHz).

	ahc0 at pci1 dev 4 function 0
	OptionMode = 3
	ahc0: interrupting at irq 9
	ahc0: aic7899 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
	scsibus0 at ahc0 channel 0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
	ahc1 at pci1 dev 4 function 1
	OptionMode = 3
	ahc1: interrupting at irq 11
	ahc1: aic7899 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
	scsibus1 at ahc1 channel 0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

I have not tried testing any 1.5-release kernels on that machine, though
there are two more machines just like it yet to set up and I suppose I
could try at least booting such a kernel when I get around to setting
them up....

I'm pretty sure I've successfully tested a much earlier -current on a
somewhat similar Asus dual-PIII motherboard that also has a 7899 (the
machine did end up running FreeBSD though because the client didn't
really want to run -current).

> It would be a real bummer if NetBSD can't run on a popular server
> system like the Dell 1550. And somewhat of a bummer if I have to
> become a FreeBSD user, given how much I love NetBSD...

It would seem then that the Dell isn't quite as "standard" as some other
similar machines using the 7899.

If you want to try my 1.5T boot floppies (they are somewhat different
from any of the "standard" ones) I can make their images available.

--
							Greg A. Woods