Subject: Re: Getting current install floppies
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/14/2001 10:25:24
At 1:15 PM -0400 5/14/01, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Could you explain the exact way the boot fails? Does it actually probe
>the devices and die on mounting root or is it dying before it finishes

Whoops, sorry. I had posted this to netbsd-help, not here.

When booting, the following messages appear:

  . . .
pci3 at pchb3 bus 2
pci3: memory space enabled
ahc1 at pci 3 dev 5 function 0: unable to map registers
ahc2 at pci 3 dev 5 function 1: unable to map registers
  . . .

The installer sees no hard drive (probably because it sees no active
controllers) and can't install anything.

Manuel proposed that I make a 1.5 INSTALL kernel with "options
AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO". I did that, and the boot sequence aborts with:

  . . .
ahc1 at pci3 dev 5 function 0
OptionMode = 3
ahc1: interrupting at irq 5
ahc1: aic7899 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
uvm_fault(0xc058b380, 0x1000, 0, 1) -> 1
kernel: page fault trap, code=0
Stopped in swapper at 0xc010be53:   movzwl    0x4(%ebx),%eax
db>

Any guesses are appreciated. Again, I'm sure that the controller and
disk are fine, given that I can fully install OpenBSD 2.8, FreeBSD
4.2, and RedHat 7.1 on the same box.

--Paul Hoffman