Subject: Re: Food for thought.
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/2001 15:24:50
[ On Wednesday, May 9, 2001 at 22:42:26 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Food for thought.
>
>I know, it's all opinion, but the /dev/pts/NNN or
> /dev/pty/NNN notation just really makes me cringe.  There must be a way
> to hit a happy medium in there somewhere.

How about /dev/pty/ptyNNN and /dev/pts/ptsNNN?

You can't really like having a bazillion tty and pty devices all
cluttered into one directory with all your other devices, can you?  What
a horrible mess it creates!  It's like putting everything in "C:\" with
no sub-directories!  "Yuck!" is my opinion of the current situation.

> [presuming that C and E are taken for virtual consoles, I didn't
> see anything else that might suggest preclusion of the other letters
> mentioned.]

Why create a scenario wehre there can be any clash with other ttys?

--
							Greg A. Woods