Subject: Re: ex0 driver trouble in -current
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2001 22:41:28
According to Wolfgang Rupprecht:

>I did briefly look at it and it did look interesting, but there were
>too many questions in my mind.

I can understand that.  It took me a while to work up the courage to
use Coda but I am glad I did - admittedly a combination of my lapdog
misbehaving at a bad time and my ham fisted attempts at recovery
caused me once to lose a couple of hours work but apart from that I am
very happy with Coda.  I do all my NetBSD development on a Coda volume
for a couple of reasons:

1) my files get copied off my laptop hard disk to my home machine
automatically.

2) allows me to perform commits from either my laptop (at work) or my
home machine and not have me have to work out which set of files is
the up to date ones, Coda takes care of it for me.

>Right now I use a combination of amd (the automounter, not chip
>company) and a boot-time config-switch that either assigns a
>local-disk directory to /home or an nfs-ed directory to /home.

What?  Not using automatic failover? :-)  If you don't mind making the
laptop a NFS server then you could make the local-disk home dir a
secondary server so when the primary is not available the secondary
takes over but that is probably overkill ;-)

>  The
>local disk version of home is simply a skeleton home that gets rdisted
>before road-trips.

I tried doing this for a while but eventually I got messed up mainly
because I hack code on the train journey to/from work each day which
makes it hard for me to remember what got back copied and what did
not.  I got sick enough of the headache (and screwed up a commit due
to it) that I made the effort to get Coda going.  One thing that I
have not used but may be of interest is a thing called Unison
(<http://www.utu.net/unison/unison.html>) which can handle the files
being changed in both the source and destination trees.