Subject: Standby Networking (Was: Re: ex0 driver trouble in -current)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2001 11:43:26
On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:08:30PM +0900, Masanori Kanaoka wrote:
> $ Still question remains whether
> $ on a desktop machine the network interface should go into power-save
> $ mode in the first place (and loose connectivity). Presonally, I'd
> $ prefer to see connectivity intact (at least for standby mode).
>
> I don't know whether network interface loose connectivity
> for standby mode.The latest fxp, tlp, rtk driver also stop
> for standby mode.

Maybe this needs wider discussion? We have many machines here that are
idle a lot, but need to be accessible for remote login (students
logging in from home or somewhere else on campus). So, I like to be
able to put thse machines on standby after a while, such that display
goes off and maybe they run a bit slower and such, but networking
remains up (at least by default). What do other's think? I think if
you want networking down to for suspend you could do that from
/etc/apm/ scripts instead. It's of course fine if suspend/sleep mode
switches netorking off, just not for standby.
Feico.