Subject: Re: NetBSD for HP9000/800 anyone?
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2001 09:37:54
"Jason R. Fink" writes:
- | - > The main challenge to a 800 port is the different busses that have
- | - > been used over the years; documentation is not publicly available for
- | - > some of these, including the HP-PB bus used by the G70 Peter Eisch
- | - > mentioned.
-
- good point, i totally bf'd on that, they use something similar
- (if not the same) on some of the 3000 models as well that run
- MPE/IX (hp's intergrated Unix).

	Actaully, MPE/ix is HP's `Business OS' (Multi Processor
Executive?), with POSIX.1 and POSIX.2 extentions.  So, it feels a
bit like UNIX, but it isn't really.

- Just out of curiousity has anyone tried contacting hp to see
- how interested they are in moving any open source sw or OS onto
- their hardware? I do not recall really seeing anything about that
- although Bruce Perens is with them now right?

	They have been supporting the Puffin Group's (now
LinuxCare?)  port of Linux to the PA-RISC boxes. HP has
released a moderate amount of documentation on the 700 series
workstations, and late model server systems in support of this
project..  They have even committed some developers out of the
Ft Collins and New Jersey UNIX labs.

	Unfortunately, the people who could help with the older
800 series systems are at the machine dependent code lab in
Richardson, TX.  I know some of those folks from the days when
that site was known as CONVEX, but I don't really expect to be
able to get any useful information from them. (courtesy NDA's
etc..  one might think it to be possible to white box the
system, but.. )

- At most I have seen that they do some linux support on i386 hw.

	There is a lot of focus on the intel hardware, but they
have also committed to providing Linux as an orderable OS option
on the A, L, and N class servers.

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
		   *BSD: Are you guys coming or what?