Subject: Re: NetBSD for HP9000/800 anyone?
To: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
From: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2001 21:38:32
| - > The main challenge to a 800 port is the different busses that have
| - > been used over the years; documentation is not publicly available for
| - > some of these, including the HP-PB bus used by the G70 Peter Eisch
| - > mentioned.

good point, i totally bf'd on that, they use something similar
(if not the same) on some of the 3000 models as well that run
MPE/IX (hp's intergrated Unix).

| 	Yup..  The basic backplane information on many of the
| older server class (800 series) systems is non-existant (even
| within HP, it seems) or unreleasable..

hp outsources a lot of stuff not just hardware, as any big co.
does, some of the NDAs they have are insane, as an example the
pfsd software on 10.20 was written by vendor-A and was having
a lot of problems working with the posix shell and nfs (from
which pfs borrows/uses). When I actually tried to get this problem
solved it turned into a severe headache that eventually led to,
sorry, nothin doin.

Then I upgraded to 11.00.
the problem is still there . . .

Just out of curiousity has anyone tried contacting hp to see
how interested they are in moving any open source sw or OS onto
their hardware? I do not recall really seeing anything about that
although Bruce Perens is with them now right?

At most I have seen that they do some linux support on i386 hw.

	jrf

--
Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org> http://www.diverge.org/
"So you have built your first NetBSD-current and diff patched the kernel?