Subject: Re: NetBSD for HP9000/800 anyone?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2001 21:25:50
just chiming in . . .

| On April 23, Nigel Reed wrote:
| > I've just found myself in possession some sort of HP9000/800 series
| > system with HP-UX 9.0 on it.
| >
| > I'd be willing to hook this thing up if someone would be interested
| > in developing a port for it.
| >
| > Personally, I wouldn't have a clue what to do but would be happy to
| > try stuff out.
| >
| > Anyway, if anyone is seriously interested in porting to this architecture
| > then please let me know or if you know anyone who might be up for it, send
| > them my way.
|
|   Those buggers have AMAZING floating point power.  It'd be great to
| see a standard OS like NetBSD running on them.

I also have an interest in this, I have a 9000/800 g70 that
is currently in use as a development box, for oracle and it
is running 11.00, yes, I can imagine the picture many of you
have in your minds already!

Anyway, I am not sure how long it will be filling this role
but I do know the co. I work for will toss it when the time
comes. I believe I could get them to offer it up to NetBSD
or at least let us do testing on it in our (the co.s) DMZ.

This is a great architecture to pursue because these machines
(the older series anyway) are extraordinarily difficult to resell.

From what I have read OpenBSD has made some inroads with this port,
they have gotten as far as a working toolchain.

	jrf

--
Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org> http://www.diverge.org/
"So you have built your first NetBSD-current and diff patched the kernel?