Subject: Re: How do you "make release"?
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2001 10:30:01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Chris Pinnock wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:56:01PM -0700, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> > I can't find the info via the web page search. Anyone have a clue for me?
>
> You need to set a DESTDIR environment variable; this is a scratch area
> for building the distribution. And you need RELEASEDIR to tell the
> process where to place the sets. Then do "make release" or
> "make UPDATE= release" or similar.
>
> There is more authoritative info at:
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/

That's slightly out of date -- "make release DESTDIR=foo
RELEASEDIR=bar" now works in "xsrc", too. The only thing that "make
release" in /usr/src, followed by "make release" in /usr/xsrc doesn't
do, is generate the "SOURCE_DATE" file at the top of "${RELEASEDIR}",
nor does it clean out "${DESTDIR}" before starting.

Frederick