Subject: Re: D-Link DFE-650 or Linksys EtherFast?
To: dive <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2001 20:39:12
> This is a CIS dump (done from linux) of the same card.. I don't know enough
> low-level stuff to be able to tell whether its useful or not, maybe one of
> you guys can figure it out?

The problem seems not to be related to the CIS info (the card already tried
to attach as "ne0", so that worked), but the ethernet (MAC) address. The
first three bytes of that address encode the vendor, seems the ne driver
is sanity-checking them. Probably it was looking for the MAC address somewhere
where there is nothing (so it read ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff as the address)
or where there is "something else", so it read arbitrary data.

First thing to check would be the linux driver code (as it obviously works
there) for some special checks to find this cards ethernet address.

Martin