Subject: Re: rdist and hardlinks
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2001 08:43:20
> I am trying to use rdist to distribute a tree with a lot of internal
> hard links to another location on another machine:

Do you have to use rdist?  An alternative may be to use rsync, which
has an option to support hard links and generally is much more
reliable than rdist:

	 http://rsync.samba.org

rsync doesn't have all the features of rdist such as running commands,
which might be a problem.

If anyone wants to fix rdist of course they're most welcome ...

My least favouite bug/feature in rdist that the syntax for delivering
one file to a remote directory is different to the syntax for
delivering multiple files to a remote directory.  cp(1) can do the
Right Thing, why can't rdist? :-(

ONE = ( file_one )
TWO = ( file_two file_three )

${TWO} -> ( nemeton.com.au )
	install /home/giles/tmp/tmp2;
#	install /home/giles/tmp/tmp2/${TWO};  # fails

${ONE} -> ( nemeton.com.au )
#	install /home/giles/tmp/tmp2/;        # fails
	install /home/giles/tmp/tmp2/${ONE};

I'm sure there are other problems, but they're lost in the mists of
time, although the whitespace problem sounds vaguely familiar.

Regards,

Giles