Subject: rdist and hardlinks
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2001 16:04:37
I am trying to use rdist to distribute a tree with a lot of internal
hard links to another location on another machine:

Distfile fragment:

share:
    /vol1/rhialto/destdir.alpha/usr/share -> ${DEST}
            install -R /home/rhialto/destdir.vax/usr/share ;

However, when encountering hard links, things go wrong (just one
example of many):

installing: /vol1/rhialto/destdir.alpha/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB-Eire
rdist: xzan.falu.nl:can't link /home/rhialto/destdir.vax/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB-Eire to /vol1/rhialto/destdir.alpha/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

Of course this link cannot be made, since the file to link to is
expressed as a source-host pathname, not a destination-host pathname...

Why is the pathname prefix not translated here? Has nobody ever done
this? I cannot imagine that...

I've been looking through the source a bit, and I think the function
savelink() needs to do the pathname translation, but I haven't figured
the details out yet.

Oh, and it also looks like rdist cannot handle spaces in file names.
See for instance server.c, line 1000.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --Soep van de dag, wat zal dat zijn
\X/ land.nl     --wat kan dat wezen, beter maar het ergste vrezen -Boy Bensdorp