Subject: Re: 1.5R botched ld.elf_so ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Bernstein <poobah@ruptured-duck.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2001 22:12:29
On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 09:04:58PM -0400, maximum entropy wrote:

> At some point pkgsrc was changed to pass "-Wl,-rpath /usr/pkg/lib"
> at link time, so setting LD_RUN_PATH was no longer needed.  But the
> setting remained as cruft in all my .profiles until this bug hit me.

I need to revisit this stuff. Looking at what I did suggests that libs
not under /usr/pkg/lib were the issue (and qt2 is from pkgsrc):

setenv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/X11R6/qt2/lib:/usr/loca
l/kde/lib:/usr/local/kde/lib/kde2
setenv  LD_RUN_PATH $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Maybe, since it came from pkgsrc, the references in the above to qt2
are overkill. My understanding is that if I'm using a /usr/local
prefix then I will have to have _something_ specified via an
environmental var.

> When this bug first hit me I was *positive* I had found a Y2K problem
> in NetBSD (note the date on the PR).

;-) We all had pretty good cases of Y2K-on-the-brain methinks.

> But I'm disappointed that it still hasn't been fixed after all this
> time.

Fer sure; very understandable.

--
Bob Bernstein